Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.86 Average
Came FROG A noisy
The right hand leaf of my swing gates was occasionally stopping mid travel during closing (opening was fine). I noticed the motor is making a "creaking" noise when in operation (the other side is just a low hum noise). 

I've adjusted the transformer power to number 4 position (it was on 3 previously). This has resolved the gate stopping, for now at least, but it is still making the same noise.

I also checked both capacitors, which are reading around 15.9uf.

The whole setup has been in place for around 7 years with no major issues.

Questions I have please:

1. I suspect the motor is on it's way out - but does the noise indicate anything else? The gate when released moves very smoothly by hand.

2. Does the transmission lever on these simply pop out upwards? Any tips on how to remove it - i.e. hammer/crowbar, as it seems pretty wedged in place?

3. If I buy a replacement motor, are the steps as follows:

a) 4 bolts to remove and replace with new motor
b) Put transmission lever back in place with some white lithium grease added
c) I can unplug the cable going to the old motor and plug it into the new one
d) Adjust limit screws to the same positions as the old motor had

I've attached an image of the motor. I've been putting white lithium grease every year on the 2 points circled in Blue. Is this ok?

The part circled in red I believe is a grease nipple. How often should that be greased and could a lack of grease be causing the creaking noise?

A lot of questions - my apologies! But appreciate any/all advice.

Thanks.

Attached Files Image(s)

(22-09-2022, 12:16 PM)fezster Wrote: The right hand leaf of my swing gates was occasionally stopping mid travel during closing (opening was fine). I noticed the motor is making a "creaking" noise when in operation (the other side is just a low hum noise). 

I've adjusted the transformer power to number 4 position (it was on 3 previously). This has resolved the gate stopping, for now at least, but it is still making the same noise.

I also checked both capacitors, which are reading around 15.9uf.

The whole setup has been in place for around 7 years with no major issues.

Questions I have please:

1. I suspect the motor is on it's way out - but does the noise indicate anything else? The gate when released moves very smoothly by hand.

2. Does the transmission lever on these simply pop out upwards? Any tips on how to remove it - i.e. hammer/crowbar, as it seems pretty wedged in place?

3. If I buy a replacement motor, are the steps as follows:

a) 4 bolts to remove and replace with new motor
b) Put transmission lever back in place with some white lithium grease added
c) I can unplug the cable going to the old motor and plug it into the new one
d) Adjust limit screws to the same positions as the old motor had

I've attached an image of the motor. I've been putting white lithium grease every year on the 2 points circled in Blue. Is this ok?

The part circled in red I believe is a grease nipple. How often should that be greased and could a lack of grease be causing the creaking noise?

A lot of questions - my apologies! But appreciate any/all advice.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry.

By the sounds of it, the internal of the motor is on its way out, this could be potential seizing on the windings at certain parts of the movement or it slipping inside.

The capacitors micro farad rating sounds fine.

Usually previous installers we have spoke to use something to lever it out such as a crowbar or a big screwdriver and then hit the end with a hammer to pry it open.

The steps you have stated are correct in swapping the motor.

That is correct, the red circle indicates the grease nipple. Maintenance usually states that it should be re-greased yearly. Also, greasing or applying WD40 onto to gate hinges can prevent resistance on the motor hindering longevity.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

Sam.
EasyGates.co.uk - EasyGates Ltd

EasyGates Direct - Trade only accounts.

Smart and Secure Center - Smart Home Products

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CAME Frog AE-p24 kit Push Button Stuartl 2 1,535 20-10-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Stuartl
  Frog A24E motor stopping SW1806 7 5,968 24-03-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: SamA
  Came FROG-A + ZA3 controller > gates wont close safety beam endam 6 7,743 23-02-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: SamA
  Came FROG - one leaf occasionally does not open fezster 3 7,550 03-08-2021, 10:07 AM
Last Post: JamieF
  Came ZM3E and Frog Motors both opening on M1 not seperately giuseppem 1 15,851 11-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Automatic-TC
  Frog - ZA3: gates won't open BarryD 0 10,210 15-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Last Post: BarryD
  Frog p 230v or 24v ? Emilyjudy 5 32,780 08-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Last Post: stephen70
  CAME Frog and Daitem 902 jderuk 1 16,974 08-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Last Post: stephen70