Thread Rating:
  • 265 Vote(s) - 2.81 Average
Proteco Leader rams very slow
Hi to everyone here

I have Proteco Leader rams on my wooden gates (inward opening) and I have noticed them starting off normally but then about half way through they slow right down, and now now that winter is here they virtually stop 2/3rds of the way through the closing cycle.

They open OK, it's just closing.

I suspect that they need greasing/oiling, but I am not sure where to put and what oil to use internally. Any advice would be much appreciated.

David
(04-11-2012, 02:29 PM)drshemmming Wrote: Hi to everyone here

I have Proteco Leader rams on my wooden gates (inward opening) and I have noticed them starting off normally but then about half way through they slow right down, and now now that winter is here they virtually stop 2/3rds of the way through the closing cycle.

They open OK, it's just closing.

I suspect that they need greasing/oiling, but I am not sure where to put and what oil to use internally. Any advice would be much appreciated.

David

This sounds like the slow down programmed on the system. This either need disabbling or more likely the force on the gates turning up however turning up the force could make the system unsafe. I would check with proteco there selves as we dont supply the Proteco system. I think the main UK Supplier for Proteco is Gatemotors.co.uk
EasyGates Manuals - Directory of Manuals and Help Guides

Smart Home Matters - Smart Home News
My experience is as the weather gets colder the rams get slower. I usually up the torque to get round this. The 2 really cold winters where there were sustained temps below zero i gave up.

I have however just placed a ram for these very reasons. Torque was upped but gate still slow or only opening 6 inches. New ram has solved problem but i understand if the capacitors are old they too could be contributory.

No maintence is required fir the rams. A little wd40 or liquid parffin helps with icing of the ram but the worm gear is self lubricating
Good luck

Martin[/php][/code][/quote]
Thanks Martin,

I have indeed done exactly that, upped the power setting, extended the operation time by a couple of seconds and lubed the outside of the rams with liquid grease and all sorted.

David

(07-11-2012, 10:29 PM)scoobydoc Wrote: My experience is as the weather gets colder the rams get slower. I usually up the torque to get round this. The 2 really cold winters where there were sustained temps below zero i gave up.

I have however just placed a ram for these very reasons. Torque was upped but gate still slow or only opening 6 inches. New ram has solved problem but i understand if the capacitors are old they too could be contributory.

No maintence is required fir the rams. A little wd40 or liquid parffin helps with icing of the ram but the worm gear is self lubricating
Good luck

Martin[/php][/code]
[/quote]
Hi

Indeed the steps you took for the motor is correct. In periods of Cold weather, like a car, the motors have trouble starting up from a stationary position. Below are some hints and general tips for promoting ongoing happy life of the automation:

1) Increase the torque level by at least 2 to 3 levels to what you see on the parameter - Remember, to trail the new setting before comitting. The motors are only designed to move the weight of the gate only and nothing else. You should be able to still hold on to the leading edge of the gate leaf and be able to stop it. If the gate drags you along with it, the torque is too high.

NOTE: In the Summer periods, the motors may work more quickly and forcefully. Remember to adjust the torque setting back down to compensate. It's like balancing the scales when it comes to Cold then Hot conditions.

2) Greasing using liquid parafin on the stainless steel arms. The motors are encased in machine grease which is water soluable. There is no maintenance required with greasing of the internal cogs

3) Aid weatherproofing - ensure the linear motor is attached to the gate with atleast a 4mm - 8mm decline MAX. This aids standing water to drain off the stainless steel piping when the gate is in a closed position. If water comes into contact with the machine grease inside the motor, the grease disperses and the gears will start to squeak and often jam.

4) Grease your gate hinges - If the gate can move freely by hand, the motor will move it easily with minimum force. The more force that is used, the more strain the motor is under.

5) Clean the Photocells - The photocells are a safety device and as such are pinicle to the automation. Without them, the gate will not respond to your commands. There are 12-24v constantly buzzing around the photocells making them an attractive warm home for insects. They love to nest over the sensors and it scatters the Infrared beams. Clean out the photocell lenses, ensure units are insect free - use silicone sealant to seal any cracks or gaps in the casings.

Gate automation is like an automobile - they should be serviced regularly.

Kind Regards

Gate Motors
01202 717191
www.gatemotors.co.uk
GateMotors.co.uk
Web : www.gatemotors.co.uk
Tel : 01202-717191
thank you to everyone who replied, and a big thanks to Easygates for hosting such a unique forum.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proteco Advantage (Q60A) Error Code "03" CLAUDIOTX 3 17,975 26-09-2023, 05:32 AM
Last Post: max666
Exclamation Proteco Q60A stopped working xCO 0 970 19-06-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: xCO
  Proteco controller & ACT5e keypad - keeps tripping fclauson 4 3,980 26-08-2022, 03:42 PM
Last Post: JoeF
  Hello - Another Proteco Q60A/R Question! SawboMan 2 3,126 12-07-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: SamA
  Proteco Q60 - FH error then close after opening Needlerp 1 2,375 24-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: JamieF
  proteco q60a microcontroller program arashkhan 1 2,584 17-06-2022, 01:29 PM
Last Post: benbrooks
  Proteco Q60 AR ...Fob wont program Shane1 0 1,721 12-01-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Shane1
  Proteco Leader N1 problem Luc Bevers 0 2,054 22-10-2021, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Luc Bevers
  Proteco gates with photocell problem. Shane1 0 2,172 09-10-2021, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Shane1
  Proteco Aster 3 ram fault soother 2 4,977 14-07-2021, 11:58 PM
Last Post: soother