Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Hydraulic Or Electro Mechanical For Timber Solid Body Gates?
Hi all,

I've been in this property for the best part of 2 years now. Until last week it had 4ft tall wrought Iron gates (Each leaf circa 2.1M wide) automated via what looks like a hydraulic ram system by SEA UK called the Mini tank, which we believe it to be about 12 years old.

Last week we had the iron gates removed in place of some 7ft tall solid oak ones and had hoped we could get away without having to swap the automation. Though through the week i've noticed one of the arms is making alot of noise, it's dropping oil.... and, when the gates are 'open' the wind is able to gradually blow the left hand gate leaf further and further closed the longer I leave it. It looks like the automated arms are time to RIP lol. Not sure whether the extra load or the fact the weather is pushing the gates more than the open body iron ones did... But it would appear its  time to definitely change the automation for something newer...

So, speaking to a couple installers, getting a bit of conflicting feedback on what to go for next and wanted to ask here to help me make a decision. With safety being a given, the things I 'care' about are; reliability, strength and opening angle. Speed isn't important to me and number of operations in 1 day at our home is typically 5-6. Opening angle needs to be 120degrees or so and I want the gates to be strongly locked in place when closed, and likewise when fully open.

With the above in mind, one installer recommended strongly I go for Roger Technology Smarty 7 as a electro mechanical option. Another installer strongly recommended I go for a BFT hydraulic solution.

Given the body of text above and the things I feel strongly about.... which makes more sense in your opinion here guys?

Note: I dont want to go for underground this time.

thanks so much,

G
bumping this, lots of views, no comments.

appreciate any guidance given!..
(09-09-2021, 02:06 PM)geddyMortgage Wrote: Hi all,

I've been in this property for the best part of 2 years now. Until last week it had 4ft tall wrought Iron gates (Each leaf circa 2.1M wide) automated via what looks like a hydraulic ram system by SEA UK called the Mini tank, which we believe it to be about 12 years old.

Last week we had the iron gates removed in place of some 7ft tall solid oak ones and had hoped we could get away without having to swap the automation. Though through the week i've noticed one of the arms is making alot of noise, it's dropping oil.... and, when the gates are 'open' the wind is able to gradually blow the left hand gate leaf further and further closed the longer I leave it. It looks like the automated arms are time to RIP lol. Not sure whether the extra load or the fact the weather is pushing the gates more than the open body iron ones did... But it would appear its  time to definitely change the automation for something newer...

So, speaking to a couple installers, getting a bit of conflicting feedback on what to go for next and wanted to ask here to help me make a decision. With safety being a given, the things I 'care' about are; reliability, strength and opening angle. Speed isn't important to me and number of operations in 1 day at our home is typically 5-6. Opening angle needs to be 120degrees or so and I want the gates to be strongly locked in place when closed, and likewise when fully open.

With the above in mind, one installer recommended strongly I go for Roger Technology Smarty 7 as a electro mechanical option. Another installer strongly recommended I go for a BFT hydraulic solution.

Given the body of text above and the things I feel strongly about.... which makes more sense in your opinion here guys?

Note: I dont want to go for underground this time.

thanks so much,

G
Hi,

Hope you are well. I would not be able to fully recommend a gate automation kit without seeing the gates themselves. If you could forward this message to the email address info@easygates.co.uk (FAO Jamie). Along with some images of your current gate, I will be able to advise the best suited Ram kit for yourself. I would recommend FAAC over Roger, however this is down to personal opinion of myself. Ultimately you should go for the kit in which the installer is most comfortable in installing.

Angle of opening is down to the geometry you are able to achieve on the install, the link below should better explain why this is needed. 
https://youtu.be/SU-s_hXsJkY

Best regards
- Jamie
Gate Automation and Access Control from EasyGates Retail Store

EasyGates Trade Store for Trade only

Smart Home Tech from The Smart and Secure Centre

Smart Home News from Smart Home Matters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems with Came gates ElFinnFlor 0 445 16-02-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: ElFinnFlor
  Life electric gates control box Gates head 1 2,024 12-10-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: JoeF
  Roger Technology Edge1 automatic gates JOKER 1 2,672 08-08-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: JoeF
  House WG2 Gates will not close mousetarget 4 9,660 29-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Last Post: mousetarget
  Keeping gates open Toby 1 11,264 28-02-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Tim
  Reset controll from operating two gates to one andrew.rennie@health.wa.gov.au 1 11,412 17-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Sav
  Best choice 4 opposite swinging gates? apeg 1 10,913 28-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Russ Dalley
  Moovo gates kev1234567 0 8,033 26-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Last Post: kev1234567
  gates keep tripping nick 2 53,121 11-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Mark