Thread Rating:
  • 96 Vote(s) - 2.91 Average
LM5580 - Door Opens Fully then Drops about 6 inches
Rolleyes 
Hi folks,

First time posting so firstly...hello! Last year i fitted a liftmaster 5580 and chamberlain arm to my mother’s  canopy garage door but recently i’ve faced some problems.

Firstly, i’ll explain the set up: its an older canopy door but still works fine. The roof is extremely low in the garage meaning the end of the opener track is screwed in to the wooden frame above the door (about 10-15cm above the top edge of the metal door. Being an older door It is a bit heavier, but not so heavy that it was ever a problem before the opener was fitted. The spring has been adjusted none the less so the door opens easier. Lastly, a chamberlain arm is fitted. I did try this with the metal curved bar that came with it but it didn’t work as i hoped so the plastic clamp on the metal track is connected to the chamberlain arm with the straight metal bar. This has been shortened however as i had to shorten it when trying the metal curved bar...as that didn’t work, i’m now using it with the shorter metal straight bar. Oh well!

On initial installation last year, it took a while to adjust the limit settings but eventually got there. I had to wait between opening/closing sessions while the motor cooled down. So, the door closes perfectly. The issue is during opening, it opens, struggles a bit near the very end of the opening procedure, then closes about 6 inches and stops. Its as if it just gives up and says ‘nope’.

So first thing i thought was weight. But its really not that heavy and the automatic force adjustment was set correctly when installed (and numerous double and triple checks by me as i remember). Next thing is turning the opening limit adjuster...allowing more opening seems to make no difference, whether that be an 8th of a turn, 1/4 turn etc. But the weird thing is, the ‘dropping’ has only just started consistently. It did happen near the beginning of the installation and id adjust the opening limit to allow more opening, then a few months later same thing again. But it was always corrected with an adjustment. Or if i tested it too many times, it seemed to get more power/juice after it had cooled down.

So, what i’m wondering is:

- Am i causing less than efficient opening by using the (now) short metal bar (without the curved bar), with a canopy door and chamberlain arm? Will using the longer bar make any positive difference? I cant picture how the forces would differ if using shorter or longer bars.
- Have i adjusted the opening limit beyond the correct/maximum operational opening limit? I’m away with work at the moment but from memory, i can still adjust the opening limit for ‘less’ opening. What i’m thinking is it opens, then closes 6 inches, and that end point is then possibly the end opening limit i.e. the distance PLUS the distance back the other way that causes the 6 in h drop.
- Why would it slow near the very end, stop about 2 inches from being opened fully, finally resting 6 inches from the fully open position? Is the opening limit adjuster damaged?
- The struggling near then end of the opening procedure, could that mean the opener actually isn’t powerful enough? There’s definitely no obstructions in the door however and its plenty lubricated.

This was a gift for my mum as i’ll be off to canada for good soon enough. She absolutely loves the door but it pains and worries me that this could happen when i’m not here. And she’d struggle/possibly be taken advantage of by a repair main who’d charge hundreds of pounds. 

So, with that...thanks for reading folks! Can anyone help?

Thanks folks! Smile
Hi,

After reading through your issue, i would say it's to do with the curved arm. I'm quite suprised you managed to get it installed in the first place. If you could forward some images of the install and i may be able to point you in the right direction.

Can you confirm if the garage door is balanced? When disconnected from the motor, does the door stay in the halfway posistion?
(13-06-2018, 08:21 AM)Sav Wrote: Hi,

After reading through your issue, i would say it's to do with the curved arm. I'm quite suprised you managed to get it installed in the first place. If you could forward some images of the install and i may be able to point you in the right direction.

Can you confirm if the garage door is balanced? When disconnected from the motor, does the door stay in the halfway posistion?

Hi Sav,

Thank you very much for your reply, its much appreciated. I can imagine there are hundreds of chamberlain installs monthly (so you must be busy!) so thanks for checking this out.

Unfortunately, I'm now in Canada for a bit BUT the garage door is still in operation at my mother's house (and is balanced). That means sadly i can't get any new photos for the time being. I did a video of it opening a while back but it doesn't really show much of the mechanism though i got a few screen grabs (see below) which shows the chamberlain arm connected with the straight bar to the trackway.

The garage door was playing up a little before I left for Canada (was fully opening, hitting the ceiling, then dropping 6 inches) but that was after lubricating it. So i can only assume that took some of the 'strain' out of things, and made the opener think it was 'lighter' than it actually was. The up and down travel adjusters are super sensitive but i managed to find a 'sweet spot' and set it so the door doesn't open fully and leaves about 4 inches from the top of the garage door frame when open, meaning the door will never open fully and cause the problem I was facing.

In your opinion, is this an OK solution? And is using the straight bar (which you can barely see in the photos...apologies!) OK, or should i have persevered with the curved bar for this type of installation?

Lastly, with the changes in seasons, is the travel of the door likely to change and require more adjustment as the temperature changes?

Many thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2 x LiftMaster 800 garage door openers Richard B 2 12,666 07-10-2021, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Richard B
  Roller Door Opener LM650 JMB 0 14,823 05-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Last Post: JMB
  Door with no springs 1 23,589 09-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Mark