Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.17 Average
Frog A24E motor stopping
We have metal electric gates powered by 2x Frog A24E motors linked to a CAME ZLJ24 control board. Recently one of the gates has stopped moving. Having had a look at the board and motors, while the wiring is a bit of a mess, as far as I can tell everything is working correctly and power is being sent to the motor in question when commanded.

When an open/close signal is sent the motor starts to move, but almost immediately starts to sound laboured and then the gate stops moving after a couple of inches of movement. The gate swings freely when in manual release and I have tried greasing the motor arm etc and now the gate will move if I ‘assist’ it in the right direction, but as soon as I stop pushing, the gate stops.

The other gate moves without any issues.

We’ve been let down by two engineers now so I’d like to take a look at it myself, I’m suspecting the motor is on its way out or there’s a problem with the reduction gears causing the motor to stop. I’ve seen you can buy replacement electric motors online rather than replacing the whole frog unit, so one thought I’ve had is to swap the ‘good’ motor from the other gate to see if it’s just the electric motor that’s going out (if that’s possible) or swapping the cables over at the control board end to see if it’s a transformer issue.

If someone can suggest what the issue may be or another solution, that’d be great. Thanks.
(12-03-2023, 08:11 PM)SW1806 Wrote: We have metal electric gates powered by 2x Frog A24E motors linked to a CAME ZLJ24 control board. Recently one of the gates has stopped moving. Having had a look at the board and motors, while the wiring is a bit of a mess, as far as I can tell everything is working correctly and power is being sent to the motor in question when commanded.

When an open/close signal is sent the motor starts to move, but almost immediately starts to sound laboured and then the gate stops moving after a couple of inches of movement. The gate swings freely when in manual release and I have tried greasing the motor arm etc and now the gate will move if I ‘assist’ it in the right direction, but as soon as I stop pushing, the gate stops.

We’ve been let down by two engineers now so I’d like to take a look at it myself, I’m suspecting the motor is on its way out or there’s a problem with the reduction gears causing the motor to stop. I’ve seen you can buy replacement electric motors online rather than replacing the whole frog unit, so one thought I’ve had is to swap the ‘good’ motor from the other gate to see if it’s just the electric motor that’s going out (if that’s possible) or swapping the cables over at the control board end to see if it’s a transformer issue.

If someone can suggest what the issue may be or another solution, that’d be great. Thanks.
Hi,

it may be a couple of things it could be the geometry of the gate that has been putting extra work on the motor slowly wearing down the motor to the point it can't work anymore.

or it could be a capacitor-related problem you could check this by switching the capacitors over from the good motor to the one that isn't working and see if that makes a difference and if it does it should just be ordering a new capacitor to get them back working.

Matt
EasyGates.co.uk - EasyGates Ltd

EasyGates Direct - Trade only accounts.

Smart and Secure Center - Smart Home Products
(14-03-2023, 10:47 AM)Matt Turner Wrote:
(12-03-2023, 08:11 PM)SW1806 Wrote: We have metal electric gates powered by 2x Frog A24E motors linked to a CAME ZLJ24 control board. Recently one of the gates has stopped moving. Having had a look at the board and motors, while the wiring is a bit of a mess, as far as I can tell everything is working correctly and power is being sent to the motor in question when commanded.

Hi,

it may be a couple of things it could be the geometry of the gate that has been putting extra work on the motor slowly wearing down the motor to the point it can't work anymore.

or it could be a capacitor-related problem you could check this by switching the capacitors over from the good motor to the one that isn't working and see if that makes a difference and if it does it should just be ordering a new capacitor to get them back working.

Matt

Thanks.

Do the 24v motors use capacitors? I can’t see a reference to them in the manual.

My next step I thought I’d remove the link arm and see if the motor can run without being connected to the gate, but I suspect it won’t as it doesn’t when the gate has been manually released.
(14-03-2023, 05:18 PM)SW1806 Wrote:
(14-03-2023, 10:47 AM)Matt Turner Wrote:

Hi,

Matt

Thanks.

Do the 24v motors use capacitors? I can’t see a reference to them in the manual.

My next step I thought I’d remove the link arm and see if the motor can run without being connected to the gate, but I suspect it won’t as it doesn’t when the gate has been manually released.
No, The 24v doesn't have capacitors.

it may still be the geometry but if you want you could send some photos that we could take a look at for you see if we can see anything that may have caused the issue.

Technical@easygates.co.uk

if you could take photos of the motor and the gates and we will see if anything stands out to us.

Matt Turner

Thanks,

I’ve emailed over some photos (the pillar that looks rather crooked moved years ago and the gate has been adjusted for this and it the working gate not the broken one)

I tried to lift the link arms today but it wouldn’t budge and recommendations on how to do this?
(16-03-2023, 07:40 PM)SW1806 Wrote: Thanks,

I’ve emailed over some photos (the pillar that looks rather crooked moved years ago and the gate has been adjusted for this and it the working gate not the broken one)

I tried to lift the link arms today but it wouldn’t budge and recommendations on how to do this?

Good Morning,

I beleive my colleague Matt is dealing with your enquiry. I can see the email and he is currently drafting a response. 

Kindest Regards,

Sam.

(20-03-2023, 09:35 AM)SamA Wrote:

Good Morning,

I beleive my colleague Matt is dealing with your enquiry. I can see the email and he is currently drafting a response. 

Kindest Regards,

Sam.

Thanks, any update on this?
(23-03-2023, 09:55 PM)SW1806 Wrote:
(20-03-2023, 09:35 AM)SamA Wrote:

Good Morning,

Kindest Regards,

Sam.

Thanks, any update on this?

Hi Stephen,

I have taken over this and emailed you Smile

Sam.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CAME Frog AE-p24 kit Push Button Stuartl 2 1,540 20-10-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Stuartl
  Came FROG-A + ZA3 controller > gates wont close safety beam endam 6 7,750 23-02-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: SamA
  Came FROG A noisy fezster 1 3,662 30-09-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: SamA
  CAME BX - motor won't invert travel direction keepup 0 3,436 11-08-2021, 05:27 PM
Last Post: keepup
  Came FROG - one leaf occasionally does not open fezster 3 7,558 03-08-2021, 10:07 AM
Last Post: JamieF
  Came ZM3E and Frog Motors both opening on M1 not seperately giuseppem 1 15,852 11-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Automatic-TC
  Frog - ZA3: gates won't open BarryD 0 10,211 15-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Last Post: BarryD
  Frog p 230v or 24v ? Emilyjudy 5 32,782 08-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Last Post: stephen70
  CAME Frog and Daitem 902 jderuk 1 16,977 08-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Last Post: stephen70
  CAME SMR9211 ('95) Motor Niemand 0 8,026 17-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Niemand