Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
FAAC sensors and Beninca R16E motor
Can anyone please help with a problem that has appeared on my sliding gate powered by a Benin R16E motor and controlled by a pair of FAAC sensors? The motor has given good service since 2006 and appears to be working fine. The FAAC sensors are replacements but these are maybe six years old. All worked fine until......

This description is given from the inside of the gate with the motor at ground level to the left and the gate sliding towards it. When the gate key is pressed to begin the opening sequence, the gate remains closed and the left hand FAAC sensor clicks at high speed. Red lights show on both sensors. The clicking can be temporarily silenced by placing a piece of tape over either sensor. The clicking started by the key can go on for several minutes (unless an object impedes the sensor beam) but eventually the left hand sensor falls silent.

After some persistent pressing of the key with the gate closed (3-10 times) the motor switches on and the gate opens fully. (This only happens with no tape over the sensors and nothing else blocking the beam).

After the gate opens fully, it refuses to start up and close the gate again. 

I have cleaned off and greased the steel track and the motor cog. The gate closes manually when the release lever on the motor is pulled fully out. The gate is on a slight slope so it has to be held shut by engaging the release lever again.

I have three remote keys. The fault occurs with all of them so I'm ruling out the keys. Both sensors have been cleaned of spiders and dirt. I have also checked for dirt and loose wires around the motor. All seems fine. The toggle switch on the motor that acts as a gate stop moves and engages freely. There doesn't seem to be a gate adjustment facility on the motor. The setup instructions just say to start up the motor with the gate at mid point in the run. The slide bars fitted to the gate frame then operate to switch the motor on and off.  

My suspicions fall on the sensors. 

Sadly Beninca Service only speaks to its retail suppliers not its end customers.

Any help would be appreciated.
(03-07-2022, 03:58 PM)Beachcomber Wrote: Can anyone please help with a problem that has appeared on my sliding gate powered by a Benin R16E motor and controlled by a pair of FAAC sensors? The motor has given good service since 2006 and appears to be working fine. The FAAC sensors are replacements but these are maybe six years old. All worked fine until......

This description is given from the inside of the gate with the motor at ground level to the left and the gate sliding towards it. When the gate key is pressed to begin the opening sequence, the gate remains closed and the left hand FAAC sensor clicks at high speed. Red lights show on both sensors. The clicking can be temporarily silenced by placing a piece of tape over either sensor. The clicking started by the key can go on for several minutes (unless an object impedes the sensor beam) but eventually the left hand sensor falls silent.

After some persistent pressing of the key with the gate closed (3-10 times) the motor switches on and the gate opens fully. (This only happens with no tape over the sensors and nothing else blocking the beam).

I have cleaned off and greased the steel track and the motor cog. The gate closes manually when the release lever on the motor is pulled fully out. The gate is on a slight slope so it has to be held shut by engaging the release lever again.

I have three remote keys. The fault occurs with all of them so I'm ruling out the keys. Both sensors have been cleaned of spiders and dirt. I have also checked for dirt and loose wires around the motor. All seems fine. The toggle switch on the motor that acts as a gate stop moves and engages freely. There doesn't seem to be a gate adjustment facility on the motor. The setup instructions just say to start up the motor with the gate at mid point in the run. The slide bars fitted to the gate frame then operate to switch the motor on and off.  

Sadly Beninca Service only speaks to its retail suppliers not its end customers.

Hi,

I am just in contact with Beninca regarding a manual.

Once i have received it, I will be more than happy to assist.

Sam.
EasyGates.co.uk - EasyGates Ltd

EasyGates Direct - Trade only accounts.

Smart and Secure Center - Smart Home Products
(12-07-2022, 11:44 AM)SamA Wrote:
(03-07-2022, 03:58 PM)Beachcomber Wrote: Can anyone please help with a problem that has appeared on my sliding gate powered by a Benin R16E motor and controlled by a pair of FAAC sensors? The motor has given good service since 2006 and appears to be working fine. The FAAC sensors are replacements but these are maybe six years old. All worked fine until......

Hi,

I am just in contact with Beninca regarding a manual.

Once i have received it, I will be more than happy to assist.

Sam.
Many thanks Sam. I now want to change my FAAC sensors to Beninca Pupilla sensors. Connecting to Beninca R1.6E motor as before. So it's Beninca to Beninca. My question is how to wire up. The FAAC RX sensor has four terminals but the Beninca RX sensor has five. The Beninca diagram is confusing. Two terminals on the RX sensor are labelled 24V AC (+) and (-) 24V DC. They leads go to the transmitter sensor (RX). where there are two terminals + and -. So far so good- I hope! (But why labelled AC and DC?) The other three Beninca terminals are obscurely labelled. C is Common. NO is 'Normally Open'. NC is 'Normally Closed'. The NC is described as 'with powered and aligned photocells' and it shows a switch between the NC and ND terminals. What does all that mean for the wiring of the last two leads used by the FAAC sensor? There are other spare leads that were not connected to the FAAC RX sensor. Any clues appreciated.
(14-07-2022, 04:10 PM)Beachcomber Wrote: Many thanks Sam. I now want to change my FAAC sensors to Beninca Pupilla sensors. Connecting to Beninca R1.6E motor as before. So it's Beninca to Beninca. My question is how to wire up. The FAAC RX sensor has four terminals but the Beninca RX sensor has five. The Beninca diagram is confusing. Two terminals on the RX sensor are labelled 24V AC (+) and (-) 24V DC. They leads go to the transmitter sensor (RX). where there are two terminals + and -. So far so good- I hope! (But why labelled AC and DC?) The other three Beninca terminals are obscurely labelled.  C is Common. NO is  'Normally Open'. NC is 'Normally Closed'. The NC is described as 'with powered and aligned photocells' and it shows a switch between the NC and ND terminals. What does all that mean for the wiring of the last two leads used by the FAAC sensor? There are other spare leads that were not connected to the FAAC RX sensor. Any clues appreciated.

Hi,

Beninca have given me a terribly translated manual from italian. So from what i can interpret. You can pick up your power for your photocells from terminal 13 and 12. You wire from the NC on your photocells into 14. You wire from the C on your photocells into terminal 12 on the control board.

Sam.

(18-07-2022, 10:44 AM)SamA Wrote:
(14-07-2022, 04:10 PM)Beachcomber Wrote: Many thanks Sam. I now want to change my FAAC sensors to Beninca Pupilla sensors. Connecting to Beninca R1.6E motor as before. So it's Beninca to Beninca. My question is how to wire up. The FAAC RX sensor has four terminals but the Beninca RX sensor has five. The Beninca diagram is confusing. Two terminals on the RX sensor are labelled 24V AC (+) and (-) 24V DC. They leads go to the transmitter sensor (RX). where there are two terminals + and -. So far so good- I hope! (But why labelled AC and DC?) The other three Beninca terminals are obscurely labelled.  C is Common. NO is  'Normally Open'. NC is 'Normally Closed'. The NC is described as 'with powered and aligned photocells' and it shows a switch between the NC and ND terminals. What does all that mean for the wiring of the last two leads used by the FAAC sensor? There are other spare leads that were not connected to the FAAC RX sensor. Any clues appreciated.

Hi,

Beninca have given me a terribly translated manual from italian. So from what i can interpret. You can pick up your power for your photocells from terminal 13 and 12. You wire from the NC on your photocells into 14. You wire from the C on your photocells into terminal 12 on the control board.

Sam.
(18-07-2022, 03:13 PM)Beachcomber Wrote:

Hi,

Sam.

Hi Sam

First, I don't know if this message will be recorded on the site. They really need to give clear instructions to beginners on how to set up a reply. The only reply button I could find just posted my previous reply and didn't let me write anything. After ages of searching I chanced on the possibility of writing here under your message.

Here's my reply. Thanks for your help. My query was about linking the existing cables from the box to the Beninca sensors. It was not about linking the sensors to the box. After messaging Beninca without any reply I took a gamble and linked up the four former FAAC leads to the Beninca sensor with 5 terminals. I guessed that maybe there was an option to choose between Beninca's terminals 4 and 5. So I chose 5. The gates worked. I was right all along then? Faulty FAAC sensors? I'll never know. But I did pick up some knowledge along the way about the meaning of VAC and VDC. No thanlks to Beninca.  

Back to meaningful tasks. Never realised how much my quality of life depended on whether my sliding gates were working.
(18-07-2022, 03:33 PM)Beachcomber Wrote:
(18-07-2022, 03:13 PM)Beachcomber Wrote:

Hi,

Sam.

Hi Sam

First, I don't know if this message will be recorded on the site. They really need to give clear instructions to beginners on how to set up a reply. The only reply button I could find just posted my previous reply and didn't let me write anything. After ages of searching I chanced on the possibility of writing here under your message.

Here's my reply. Thanks for your help. My query was about linking the existing cables from the box to the Beninca sensors. It was not about linking the sensors to the box. After messaging Beninca without any reply I took a gamble and linked up the four former FAAC leads to the Beninca sensor with 5 terminals. I guessed that maybe there was an option to choose between Beninca's terminals 4 and 5. So I chose 5. The gates worked. I was right all along then? Faulty FAAC sensors? I'll never know. But I did pick up some knowledge along the way about the meaning of VAC and VDC. No thanlks to Beninca.  

Back to meaningful tasks. Never realised how much my quality of life depended on whether my sliding gates were working.

Hi,

Ah i understand. Yes the Vac is alternating current and Vdc is direct current. It does sound to me like the photocells were the issue all along.

Thank you for your update.

Sam.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Faac 415 can't reset from manual to operate mode Stephen Q 1 1,148 18-03-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: RXH
  Faac 455d Grantplant 1 2,212 13-11-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Aiden Mitton
  FAAC 740 limited travel LoneStarCycler 0 2,903 24-06-2023, 01:06 AM
Last Post: LoneStarCycler
  FAAC 400 cbac LN 104202 obey gates 1 7,384 21-11-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: SamA
  FAAC gates help - code change from previous owners trekkerglenn 3 5,281 14-11-2022, 12:03 PM
Last Post: benbrooks
  Faac 455 beginner help please Ghutson70@gmail.com 2 8,408 30-05-2022, 09:12 AM
  Faac C721 trips mains when connecting transformer Gatehelp 3 6,763 24-05-2022, 08:36 AM
  Faac Ufo Rail manual to auto mode TibiHu 1 4,924 07-03-2022, 11:03 AM
Last Post: JamieF
  FAAC NOT AUTO CLOSING. BROKEN WIRE Slick19000 3 8,303 04-01-2022, 09:48 AM
  Faac 455d Control Panel with XF868 Receiver Dec 3 7,428 04-01-2022, 09:42 AM