Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.44 Average
Faac gate opens when photo cell beam is broken
Hi all
Any idea how to rewire faac photo cell so it doesn't open gate. 
I want it to activate when the gate is closing for safety reasons but not actually open the gate.
Inherited the system and current setup can't be right. 
Please see pic of Tx Photo cell. 
I have a 455D control board. Thanks very much.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Stephen,

Photocells are generally used to stop and reopen gates when the are obstructed while the gates are closing. This is generally to avoid damaging vehicles which could be attempting to drive through as the gates start to close. It is not usually recommended to wire the photocells into the emergency stop command but I can explain how this is done below.

Going from the colours of the wires from the image you provided, you should have a green and white wire going terminal 12 and terminal 19, these will need to be removed and a wire bridge will need to be put between terminals 12 and 19. You will then need to remove the wire bridge from terminal 11 and terminal 14 and replace this with the green wire going to terminal 11 and the white going to terminal 14. If you already have wires going into terminals 11 and 14 you will need wire the 4 wires in series to allow the photocells and other STOP device to function.
Gate Automation and Access Control from EasyGates Retail Store

EasyGates Trade Store for Trade only

Smart Home Tech from The Smart and Secure Centre

Smart Home News from Smart Home Matters
(17-03-2021, 11:36 AM)RyanB Wrote: Hi Stephen,

Photocells are generally used to stop and reopen gates when the are obstructed while the gates are closing. This is generally to avoid damaging vehicles which could be attempting to drive through as the gates start to close. It is not usually recommended to wire the photocells into the emergency stop command but I can explain how this is done below.

Going from the colours of the wires from the image you provided, you should have a green and white wire going terminal 12 and terminal 19, these will need to be removed and a wire bridge will need to be put between terminals 12 and 19. You will then need to remove the wire bridge from terminal 11 and terminal 14 and replace this with the green wire going to terminal 11 and the white going to terminal 14. If you already have wires going into terminals 11 and 14 you will need wire the 4 wires in series to allow the photocells and other STOP device to function.

Hi Ryan
Thanks very much for getting back to me with such a compréhensive answer. I probably didn't explain correctly but as you have pointed out....
Photocells are generally used to stop and reopen gates when the are obstructed while the gates are closing. This is generally to avoid damaging vehicles which could be attempting to drive through as the gates start to close. 
That's precisely how I want to use them. Currently the cells actually OPEN the gate when the beam is broken. They also reopen as they are closing to prevent damage which is good news BUT they also open the gates which makes a nonsense of security. I was looking to wire them so they do not actuate the gates.
My apologies Stephen. It looks like the photocells were used as a device to open the gates when approached. This would also open the gates while they were closing. Revising what I have advised previously you will have a green and white wire going into 9 and 14. The wire going into 9 would need to be moved to 12 and 14.

Wiring diagram for 1 x Closing Photocells:

If you already have closing photocells wired into these terminals you will need to wire these as shown in the image below.

Wiring diagram for 2x Closing Photocells:

Gate Automation and Access Control from EasyGates Retail Store

EasyGates Trade Store for Trade only

Smart Home Tech from The Smart and Secure Centre

Smart Home News from Smart Home Matters
(29-03-2021, 09:50 AM)RyanB Wrote: My apologies Stephen. It looks like the photocells were used as a device to open the gates when approached. This would also open the gates while they were closing. Revising what I have advised previously you will have a green and white wire going into 9 and 14. The wire going into 9 would need to be moved to 12 and 14.

Wiring diagram for 1 x Closing Photocells:

If you already have closing photocells wired into these terminals you will need to wire these as shown in the image below.

Wiring diagram for 2x Closing Photocells:
Ryan. That's brilliant thanks very much for your help. All the best.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Faac 415 can't reset from manual to operate mode Stephen Q 1 1,150 18-03-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: RXH
  Faac 455d Grantplant 1 2,214 13-11-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Aiden Mitton
  FAAC 740 limited travel LoneStarCycler 0 2,905 24-06-2023, 01:06 AM
Last Post: LoneStarCycler
  FAAC 400 cbac LN 104202 obey gates 1 7,386 21-11-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: SamA
  FAAC gates help - code change from previous owners trekkerglenn 3 5,286 14-11-2022, 12:03 PM
Last Post: benbrooks
  Gate continues trying to open tjtj6554 1 3,044 20-09-2022, 08:02 AM
  FAAC sensors and Beninca R16E motor Beachcomber 7 10,644 20-07-2022, 09:50 AM
  Faac 455 beginner help please Ghutson70@gmail.com 2 8,410 30-05-2022, 09:12 AM
  Faac C721 trips mains when connecting transformer Gatehelp 3 6,763 24-05-2022, 08:36 AM
  Faac Ufo Rail manual to auto mode TibiHu 1 4,925 07-03-2022, 11:03 AM
Last Post: JamieF