Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 2.94 Average
Power surges
Hi all,

I have gates fitted to a small development of 5 houses so they do not get high volumes of traffic using them.  The gates are on there own power supply with 16amp breakers.  Last year the gates failed and the company who installed them came out and discovered that the cabling to the IR sensors was eroded, it was replaced and the gates were back operational.  This may be a red herring!

Since then (December) the Thalia Light BTL2 panel has failed 3 times, 2 have been 'confirmed' by BFT as being as a result of a power surge, the current failure is still to be looked into but I suspect the same cause will be given.

I find it very hard to accept that 3 panels in 5 months could have failed due to a power surge, I know the panels are low voltage (24v) but surely they can withstand a certain degree of voltage increase.  Could the panel be failing as a result of the loads attached i.e. the motors, the IR sensors and the microwave sensors used to trigger opening when a vehicle is detected.

Has any one else had experience with these panels failing so regularly due to power surges?

The company we use are suggesting surge protection added on but this is at a cost of £430 which seems very high.  The gates are heading to a point where the funding required to keep them operational is unsustainable.

Any help would be greatly received.  Thanks
(07-05-2019, 09:08 AM)markyjoe27 Wrote: Hi all,

I have gates fitted to a small development of 5 houses so they do not get high volumes of traffic using them.  The gates are on there own power supply with 16amp breakers.  Last year the gates failed and the company who installed them came out and discovered that the cabling to the IR sensors was eroded, it was replaced and the gates were back operational.  This may be a red herring!

Since then (December) the Thalia Light BTL2 panel has failed 3 times, 2 have been 'confirmed' by BFT as being as a result of a power surge, the current failure is still to be looked into but I suspect the same cause will be given.

I find it very hard to accept that 3 panels in 5 months could have failed due to a power surge, I know the panels are low voltage (24v) but surely they can withstand a certain degree of voltage increase.  Could the panel be failing as a result of the loads attached i.e. the motors, the IR sensors and the microwave sensors used to trigger opening when a vehicle is detected.

Has any one else had experience with these panels failing so regularly due to power surges?

The company we use are suggesting surge protection added on but this is at a cost of £430 which seems very high.  The gates are heading to a point where the funding required to keep them operational is unsustainable.

Any help would be greatly received.  Thanks

Hi, it is to do with the transformer that is within the panel as it cannot take a high level of voltage therefor blowing the panel, you could possibly use a 24v power supply this may work for you as apposed to mains voltage.
EasyGates.co.uk - EasyGates Ltd

EasyGates Direct - Trade only accounts.

Smart and Secure Center - Smart Home Products
My question is then what is the point of 24v Panels if they struggle to handle transformed 240V? Should this have been considered when installed?
(08-05-2019, 04:28 PM)markyjoe27 Wrote: My question is then what is the point of 24v Panels if they struggle to handle transformed 240V?  Should this have been considered when installed?

Hi, Its not usually a frequent error with these boards especially BFT Boards, you may need to consider surge protection unfortunately.
EasyGates.co.uk - EasyGates Ltd

EasyGates Direct - Trade only accounts.

Smart and Secure Center - Smart Home Products

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BFT photocell low power/no power kmeand 2 4,690 03-08-2022, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Michael
  Accessory Power Caesium 4 12,864 02-06-2020, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Smith1105
  ICARO + LEO B CBB : 12V power for keypad? tommysharp 5 22,498 17-02-2020, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Caesium