Thread Rating:
  • 118 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
Gates TRIPPING rcd with internal open/close switch.
This has me foxed,  the syStem is a DEA GATE AUTOMATION MODEL 202E/3 CONTROL PANEL FOR DOUBLE WING GATES with SUB 300M liftmaster motors.  Worked flawlessly for 9 years!!  Then beginning of April of one the photocells on the outside peer started buzzing but this occured when I had opened gates for workmen to do garden work and they were travelling back and forrth so gates were left open on the internal switch for a good few hours.  I replaced  the faulty photocell ie got the relevant matching model from DEA and all back to normal.

The Friday last, opened gates with internal switch for oil delivery, took about half an hour, all good when they left.  Then opened gates for electriciains, lasted 3 hours and after they left the gates started tripping the RCD when I moved insdie switch to close. I was gutted, gobsmacked.  But wiring for gate goes up via loft out back and into conduit to gates so no work done near cabling. 

I have done the following, replaced internal switch, still trips, isolated the photocells, still trips,  removed module that supplies gates!! bingo did not trip,  plugged in one motor ie motor 2 ob board, bingo it opened and closed.  I then use capacitor from good motor on motor 1 and... it tripped LCD.  I checked the cable join on the underground motor, ie unwound some tape at one end and it was damp. ie some water.  The connection was a submarine one so cut that and rejoined the4 cables,  earth, red, blue, black on power side and red blue black, and purple on motor side, put purple with earth.  Switch on ... and it tripped again.  The big mistake I now realise I made was not testing motor 1 with the outputs on board for  motor 2 grrr!!  I left the good capaictor ie one that was on motor 2 now with motor  one.

But I had a lot of hassle putting the cables back in correctly for both capacitors,  its a tiny aperture for 2 cables and my eyesight is no longer 20/20.  In other words the connections are not a snug fit.

Is it possible the board is faulty ie the bit that drives motor 1?  I know I could try motor 2 outputs etc but weather is now foul and board is not that easy to access.

Sorry for the long spiel but don't want to be told to try the usual.  By the way I did check photocells were aligned correctly and level.  The  motor casings are bone dry as I insisted installer bore a few drain holes, I watched him do it.

I have the diagram for the control board and I checked all connections for looseness.   When I took off the submarine connection I cut through and the resin was still very sticky ie it was not apparent that water had got in.

I found the diagnostics sheet and under Red Led "PHOTO" it states, " normally ON, it turns OFF when an impulse  is received on PHOTOCELL input. "  At the moment its unlit.  This leads me to believe that it may be a cell related fault. 

HELP
hi

is that happend when electrician left your house ?

regards
Best Regards 
Tom 
Automatic-TC
Yes but I have put it down to a coincidence!!! I did contact him but he said as gates are on an RCD it was not anything he did!!
Ok an update, traced the fault to motor 1 ie it trips the RCD when engaged using the black ie open command and does nothing when using the brown ie close command.

I have ordered new motors as installer said you cant have one old and one new working together!!
I forgot to come back and say installed new motors and all was good until today, when right motor sheared the bolt attaching it to drive mechansism. I believe it was under too much strain.
(01-05-2018, 06:12 PM)bomitie Wrote: This has me foxed,  the syStem is a DEA GATE AUTOMATION MODEL 202E/3 CONTROL PANEL FOR DOUBLE WING GATES with SUB 300M liftmaster motors.  Worked flawlessly for 9 years!!  Then beginning of April of one the photocells on the outside peer started buzzing but this occured when I had opened gates for workmen to do garden work and they were travelling back and forrth so gates were left open on the internal switch for a good few hours.  I replaced  the faulty photocell ie got the relevant matching model from DEA and all back to normal.

The Friday last, opened gates with internal switch for oil delivery, took about half an hour, all good when they left.  Then opened gates for electriciains, lasted 3 hours and after they left the gates started tripping the RCD when I moved insdie switch to close. I was gutted, gobsmacked.  But wiring for gate goes up via loft out back and into conduit to gates so no work done near cabling. 

I have done the following, replaced internal switch, still trips, isolated the photocells, still trips,  removed module that supplies gates!! bingo did not trip,  plugged in one motor ie motor 2 ob board, bingo it opened and closed.  I then use capacitor from good motor on motor 1 and... it tripped LCD.  I checked the cable join on the underground motor, ie unwound some tape at one end and it was damp. ie some water.  The connection was a submarine one so cut that and rejoined the4 cables,  earth, red, blue, black on power side and red blue black, and purple on motor side, put purple with earth.  Switch on ... and it tripped again.  The big mistake I now realise I made was not testing motor 1 with the outputs on board for  motor 2 grrr!!  I left the good capaictor ie one that was on motor 2 now with motor  one.

But I had a lot of hassle putting the cables back in correctly for both capacitors,  its a tiny aperture for 2 cables and my eyesight is no longer 20/20.  In other words the connections are not a snug fit.

Is it possible the board is faulty ie the bit that drives motor 1?  I know I could try motor 2 outputs etc but weather is now foul and board is not that easy to access.

Sorry for the long spiel but don't want to be told to try the usual.  By the way I did check photocells were aligned correctly and level.  The  motor casings are bone dry as I insisted installer bore a few drain holes, I watched him do it.

I have the diagram for the control board and I checked all connections for looseness.   When I took off the submarine connection I cut through and the resin was still very sticky ie it was not apparent that water had got in.

I found the diagnostics sheet and under Red Led "PHOTO" it states, " normally ON, it turns OFF when an impulse  is received on PHOTOCELL input. "   At the moment its unlit.  This leads me to believe that it may be a cell related fault. 

HELP
Hi,

i feel this will need professional assistance as there may be a short across live an neutral on the mains in to the panel,
your electrician may need to relay mains in to amend this issue.
EasyGates.co.uk - EasyGates Ltd

EasyGates Direct - Trade only accounts.

Smart and Secure Center - Smart Home Products

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Came ZA3 gates stuck open Ivorwindybottom 0 258 18-02-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Ivorwindybottom
  Electric Gates with AllMatic BIOS2 Unit antsnaith 3 1,198 31-01-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: patronsecurity
  Came gates za3p Webby 4 8,819 07-01-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Simon NW
  Disable Open hold On NICE NC824 paul@blxnetworks.co.uk 4 1,671 02-10-2023, 09:20 AM
Last Post: benbrooks
  Nice Gates not closing StuL 1 1,349 24-08-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: JoeF
  Gates Opening After Closing tht7 2 9,458 30-07-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: lcpbarbosa
  Holding the Gate Open mgb 1 3,465 11-07-2023, 01:35 PM
  Came gates stuck open. Ring8180 7 16,650 23-02-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: SamA
  Proteco controller & ACT5e keypad - keeps tripping fclauson 4 3,847 26-08-2022, 03:42 PM
  Proteco Q60 - FH error then close after opening Needlerp 1 2,310 24-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: JamieF