Thread Rating:
  • 194 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Photocell Problem
Hi all,

This is my first post (aside from intro) so please bear with me. I have an issue with electric cantilever style sliding gate. I have a pair of photocells on each side of the gate (to prevent the gate closing on someone when either coming or going). For each pair there is one photocell on the powered side of the gate (where the gate is mounted), and I have another photocell opposite each of these which is battery powered (I'm assuming this is the transmitter?). The problem is as follows:

The gate will not close as one set of cells are "clicking" as if the beam is being broken, but it is not. I have changed the batteries in the "transmitters opposite, but this makes no difference. The red led that indicates the photocell is receiving stays on for about one second, then clicks and the light goes out, then it comes back on and does the same thing over and over again. I took the transmitter off the other side and put it straight up in front of the receiver, and it does exactly the same thing. It picks up the beam, then seems to click as if it has lost it (but I have not moved), then it clicks back on again. I have a video of this, but not too sure where to post it?

To get my gate to close again I have placed a jumper wire across the switch terminals to get the gate to close.

Any ideas? Burnt out relay on the board? Do I need a whole new photocell?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.....
Have you taken all the covers off the photocells and ensure there's no cob webs etc. in there?
MWJGATES
www.mwjgates.co.uk
info@mwjgates.co.uk
Covering:- Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire.
yeah,
I took all the covers off, cleaned them and brushed out the housings etc. All looked pretty clean and no signs of any water ingress.

(14-02-2016, 05:18 PM)MWJONES Wrote: Have you taken all the covers off the photocells and ensure there's no cob webs etc. in there?
(15-02-2016, 02:10 PM)marcoos_1 Wrote: yeah,
I took all the covers off, cleaned them and brushed out the housings etc.  All looked pretty clean and no signs of any water ingress.

(14-02-2016, 05:18 PM)MWJONES Wrote: Have you taken all the covers off the photocells and ensure there's no cob webs etc. in there?

I am having this exact same problem, the facc photocells on the internal side of the gate are clicking on and off every second or so... I have cleaned them out, taken covers off , and even placed the battery powered one right up next to the other. Still clicks on and off.... There is also a set of liftmaster photocells set up in series that monitor the outside. Those seem to click off completely {lose power) in time with the internal sensors clicking off.

Are the internal sensors faulty?
(28-12-2023, 11:01 PM)Jonloach Wrote:
(15-02-2016, 02:10 PM)marcoos_1 Wrote: yeah,
I took all the covers off, cleaned them and brushed out the housings etc.  All looked pretty clean and no signs of any water ingress.

I am having this exact same problem, the facc photocells on the internal side of the gate are clicking on and off every second or so... I have cleaned them out, taken covers off , and even placed the battery powered one right up next to the other. Still clicks on and off.... There is also a set of liftmaster photocells set up in series that monitor the outside. Those seem to click off completely {lose power) in time with the internal sensors clicking off.

Are the internal sensors faulty?
Hi,

Sounds to me that the set of cells (relay ones) are faulty. nuisance clicking usually indicates damage to the PCB of the photocell.

Joe
EasyGates.co.uk - EasyGates Ltd

EasyGates Direct - Trade only accounts.

Smart and Secure Center - Smart Home Products

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Faac photocell stopped working Zeb Gulickx 2 835 28-01-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Zeb Gulickx
  water damage to FAAC photocell Rajab 4 3,533 18-07-2022, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Master to slave remote problem Dingerb 0 1,570 24-12-2021, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Dingerb