Thread Rating:
  • 167 Vote(s) - 2.86 Average
Nightmare Wind
Hi All , been installing and repairing Electric gates for just over four years now. Only way to describe them is temperamental as you'll all probably know.

Basically I'm having a nightmare with an install. We've just installed a single swing, steel framed hardwood t&g gate. 3m long by 1.8m in height. Weight approx 250kg - 300kg Motor is a CAME FrogAE..

We installed them just before christmas- all hunky dory! Got a phone call yesterday to say the gate won't open fully and keeps closing!

Upon arrival my van door nearly blew off as I exited! Extreme wind! Basically the motor just isn't strong enough. Not helped by the aerodynamics of the gate. It's just catching the full force of the wind.

Turned encoder off and tried it without. No help just stood still after opening about a metre. I then put slight pressure on it and motor starting to open gate.... Only with the help of my palm.

Customer says they get this type of wind all the time so needs sorting!

I'm stuck for a solution. First thoughts have been "remake by rights", split in two and add additional motor... But that's worse case scenario and he'll of a lot of messing and time (money).

Would a worm driven arm be better in this scenario as it pulls rather than drags? Also the lever on the frogs drag from the a poor position on longer leaf gates. Whereas a longer arm will pull from the centre of the gate?

Any opinions will be appreciated
Roughly speaking from what I can work out from online information wind loading @ 30 mph on a 10'x6' gate is 290kg ish.

So if your gates are 300KG, Wind loading may be upto 290kg then allow for the wood to be wet, or ice. You are well over the gate motors limit of 400kg for a 3.5m gate.

(07-01-2016, 11:54 PM)BES-Gates Wrote: Hi All , been installing and repairing Electric gates for just over four years now. Only way to describe them is temperamental as you'll all probably know.

Basically I'm having a nightmare with an install. We've just installed a single swing, steel framed hardwood t&g gate. 3m long by 1.8m in height. Weight approx 250kg - 300kg Motor is a CAME FrogAE..

We installed them just before christmas- all hunky dory! Got a phone call yesterday to say the gate won't open fully and keeps closing!

Upon arrival my van door nearly blew off as I exited! Extreme wind! Basically the motor just isn't strong enough. Not helped by the aerodynamics of the gate. It's just catching the full force of the wind.

Turned encoder off and tried it without. No help just stood still after opening about a metre. I then put slight pressure on it and motor starting to open gate.... Only with the help of my palm.

Customer says they get this type of wind all the time so needs sorting!

I'm stuck for a solution. First thoughts have been "remake by rights", split in two and add additional motor... But that's worse case scenario and he'll of a lot of messing and time (money).

Would a worm driven arm be better in this scenario as it pulls rather than drags? Also the lever on the frogs drag from the a poor position on longer leaf gates. Whereas a longer arm will pull from the centre of the gate?

Any opinions will be appreciated
MWJGATES
www.mwjgates.co.uk
info@mwjgates.co.uk
Covering:- Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire.