Thread Rating:
  • 201 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Foundations
I am a new member and am installing a sliding gate for the first time.As it is 200 m from the house I am hoping to use a solar charged system. Could any one give me an idea of a suitable sizes and depth for the concrete foundation? Should it have reinforcing rods included? The gate is 5.5m wide by 2.2m tall and weighs 550 kg and will run behind two stone columns of 70cm width. Any ideas most welcome. Thank you.
The foundations you set will be completely dependant on the structure of the ground you are allowing the gate to run across. If for instance you are on quite compact dirt which is not likely to move easily then the foundations could be more forgiving and you would not have to go down quite so deep. If however you find yourself on a loose sandy ground, then it might be wise to go that extra bit deeper to prevent any cracks or damage over time occurring to the concrete when driven over. Ideally I would say 300mm would be an appropriate depth for compact soil. If you are fitting steel posts which will support the gate, then these will need foundations running a 1/3 of the height protruding from the ground. For instance, if you have a 2m high gate, the foundation for the post would ideally need to be around a metre below the surface. Hence requiring a 3m length post.
Hope this helps.
Kinde Regards,
Dave

(01-02-2015, 05:43 PM)Broljo Wrote: I am a new member and am installing a sliding gate for the first time.As it is 200 m from the house I am hoping to use a solar charged system. Could any one give me an idea of a suitable sizes and depth for the concrete foundation? Should it have reinforcing rods included? The gate is 5.5m wide by 2.2m tall and weighs 550 kg and will run behind two stone columns of 70cm width. Any ideas most welcome. Thank you.
Dave Blake

EasyGates.co.uk - EasyGates Ltd | EasyGates Direct - Trade only accounts | Smart and Secure Center - Smart Home Products
Thank you for that Dave-most helpful.
I was planning on bracketing the roller guide on one stone block pillar (2.7m overall height) and the catcher on the other. Do you think that the roller guide should be on a separate steel post instead? The gate is solid so there will be some force when the wind is strong.
I was also planning on making the foundation 250 wide where the track goes. Would that be about right?
The soil is free draining, lightish with some stone and is undisturbed for many years but there are a number of bushes/trees to get rid of so will be a looser after that.
Kind regards
broljo

(03-02-2015, 10:58 AM)Blakey111 Wrote: The foundations you set will be completely dependant on the structure of the ground you are allowing the gate to run across. If for instance you are on quite compact dirt which is not likely to move easily then the foundations could be more forgiving and you would not have to go down quite so deep. If however you find yourself on a loose sandy ground, then it might be wise to go that extra bit deeper to prevent any cracks or damage over time occurring to the concrete when driven over. Ideally I would say 300mm would be an appropriate depth for compact soil. If you are fitting steel posts which will support the gate, then these will need foundations running a 1/3 of the height protruding from the ground. For instance, if you have a 2m high gate, the foundation for the post would ideally need to be around a metre below the surface. Hence requiring a 3m length post.
Hope this helps.
Kinde Regards,
Dave

(01-02-2015, 05:43 PM)Broljo Wrote: I am a new member and am installing a sliding gate for the first time.As it is 200 m from the house I am hoping to use a solar charged system. Could any one give me an idea of a suitable sizes and depth for the concrete foundation? Should it have reinforcing rods included? The gate is 5.5m wide by 2.2m tall and weighs 550 kg and will run behind two stone columns of 70cm width. Any ideas most welcome. Thank you.