Thread Rating:
  • 219 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Photocell Problem
Hi all, really hoping someone can help!

I have a problem with the photocells on my gates. The gates are being held open for random periods, seemingly by the photocells as the control panel says 'Phot' when open. They may close normally (20 secs or so) or after a few hours (sometimes days) and when I watch the control board 'Phot' flashes on and off at random but long enough to prevent the gates from closing.

One of the cells clicks when I wave my hand in front of it too, so I think the cells themselves are ok?

Any ideas very, very welcome!
If you power the unit down and disconnect the safety beam and rewire it above ground for now. You will see if its the cable or beam that has a fault. I think its maybe the cable. Hope this helped and good look.
Stephen70,

Thank you very much indeed. That does make sense because there has been a bit of rust on the end of the cable which I sorted but I guess it could be all along the cable.

I'll give it a go, although I'm not entirely sure how to 'wire it above ground' or what wire/cable to use - more internet trawling to find out!

Thanks again.
Cheers
Do you know what system you have if its one I'm familiar with i should be able to help.
Stephen70,

Thank you but I think I've sorted it (for now at least). I found that one of the tiny wires from one of the photocells to a terminal block was very brittle and snapped really easily rather than bent, so I cut the first few inches off and re-wired it and they seem fine! However, I found something similar on the other photocell a few weeks ago and thought that had sorted it too!

Hopefully you won't hear from me again, but I will be back if I have problems.

Thanks again.

Webtoe 71

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problem with CB22 Larry 1 5,870 17-03-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Michael
  GIBIDI gate motor closing problem davidcunningham 0 7,928 26-04-2019, 07:46 PM
Last Post: davidcunningham
  Photocell rewiring jepelite 4 18,466 24-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Last Post: thm
  lyn300/cb24 problem or not??? mick rumble 1 11,892 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Blakey111