Thread Rating:
  • 284 Vote(s) - 2.89 Average
Safety bar
The electric gates to our flat's car park have worked perfectly for the last 8 years, (apart from 2 new motors fitted) The firm who carry out the maintenance recommended that we have a vertical safety bar fitted to one gate that reverses the motor should a pedestrian become trapped. (HSE guidelines)
Since this was fitted week ago the gates have opened and closed at random. Yesterday I had to turn off the power because the gates were opening continuously. The firm who fitted the bar have diagnosed by email that the cause of the problem could be water ingress or cable wear. The was not mentioned at the annual maintenance 2 weeks ago.
I think the problem may be due to the sensitivity of this newly fitted bar and would appreciate any knowledge and advice anyone can offer.
I feel that I am about to be ripped off by the maintenance company.....Jan
Hello

A Safety Edge will not make the gate randomly open and close when in the stationary position, i believe if the gate is stationary and opening by itself its due to possible wear or water ingress in the access systems ie. keypad, intercom push switch etc, a safety edge will only make a gate stop and back off once triggered and the gate is in motion,

hope this helps

(18-10-2014, 11:35 AM)Jan Hinks Wrote: The electric gates to our flat's car park have worked perfectly for the last 8 years, (apart from 2 new motors fitted) The firm who carry out the maintenance recommended that we have a vertical safety bar fitted to one gate that reverses the motor should a pedestrian become trapped. (HSE guidelines)
Since this was fitted week ago the gates have opened and closed at random. Yesterday I had to turn off the power because the gates were opening continuously. The firm who fitted the bar have diagnosed by email that the cause of the problem could be water ingress or cable wear. The was not mentioned at the annual maintenance 2 weeks ago.
I think the problem may be due to the sensitivity of this newly fitted bar and would appreciate any knowledge and advice anyone can offer.
I feel that I am about to be ripped off by the maintenance company.....Jan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Safety Edges Jaddis 1 5,526 30-03-2022, 02:02 PM
Last Post: JoeF
  Swing gate safety edge Forum Flyer 1 9,373 17-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Last Post: JoeF
Question Electric Gate Safety Poll easygates 0 15,701 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Last Post: easygates
  EGD and ASO 2nd Gate Safety Conference easygates 0 15,047 05-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Question Electric Gate Safety Issues easygates 2 24,289 23-06-2011, 11:27 AM