Thread Rating:
  • 544 Vote(s) - 2.94 Average
single & double gate operation
I've a BFI installation that was pre installed when I inherited it. I'll be needing some additional Mitto 02 fobs, and great - you sell them, but I've a related query.

My current installation uses two motors, each moving a single large leaf wooden gate (within a metal frame). and I've a few issues, so would be grateful for any advice.

(1) The Mitto 2 fobs appear to be rather cheaply constructed, there are times I've to press all sections of the button just to get the gate to operate (only 1 of the buttons is programmed and may well be wearing out!). Are there any ruggedised versions based on the Mitto 2 I can use instead?

(2) I'm otherwise delighted with the system, however is there a way to have a single button programmed so that just a single leaf can be open/shut, (for pedestrian access) and the second button to activate them both? I noticed in one of the Manuals this is an option on some BFT installations, or even one button per motor...!

(3) Finally because of their size, high winds are a problem and whilst one of the gates remains where the motor places it, the other can actually be opened simply by pressing hard repeatedly on the leaf, to allow the gap to be wide enough to walk through. It cannot be manually pushed back (to close it), and requires a complete open/close sequence to put it back where it should be... but then the wind can steadily push it open again. Is there a setting in the motor that permits this that I can somehow rectify this problem, so that when it closes it actually STAYS shut?

Many thanks!
- Raymond
Good morning Buzby, your thread does not suggest wether you are talking about 2 x sliding leafs closing towards each other or wether they are a pair of swing gates, but, you mention the wind being a problem so i guess its the latter.

Can you get any more info. control panel type, motor type etc to help us? the BFT motors are probably SUB's which are hydraulic and hence could be the problem you mention regarding the wind slightly opening one leaf. You can alter certain functions on the motor regarding the bypass valves/torque but this isnt recommended.

Carl

Buzby Wrote:I've a BFI installation that was pre installed when I inherited it. I'll be needing some additional Mitto 02 fobs, and great - you sell them, but I've a related query.

My current installation uses two motors, each moving a single large leaf wooden gate (within a metal frame). and I've a few issues, so would be grateful for any advice.

(1) The Mitto 2 fobs appear to be rather cheaply constructed, there are times I've to press all sections of the button just to get the gate to operate (only 1 of the buttons is programmed and may well be wearing out!). Are there any ruggedised versions based on the Mitto 2 I can use instead?

(2) I'm otherwise delighted with the system, however is there a way to have a single button programmed so that just a single leaf can be open/shut, (for pedestrian access) and the second button to activate them both? I noticed in one of the Manuals this is an option on some BFT installations, or even one button per motor...!

(3) Finally because of their size, high winds are a problem and whilst one of the gates remains where the motor places it, the other can actually be opened simply by pressing hard repeatedly on the leaf, to allow the gap to be wide enough to walk through. It cannot be manually pushed back (to close it), and requires a complete open/close sequence to put it back where it should be... but then the wind can steadily push it open again. Is there a setting in the motor that permits this that I can somehow rectify this problem, so that when it closes it actually STAYS shut?

Many thanks!
Wink 
Hiya Carl, thanks for your response.

I've shovelled the snow out the way, so hopefully this additional information will make sense!

The gates swing, and are standard. Yes, they are controlled with two BFT hydraulic rams. Inside the control box is a PCB marked RIGEL 5, and two large plastic canisters dropped out (still connected) that look like retro fitted capacitors or suppressors of some sort.

Any clearer? Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

- Raymond
Hi Buzby,

Sounds like you probably have the BFT hydraulic rams that only have locking in one direction or possibly not locking at all. Its risky fitting rams that lock in the closed direction if fitted to wooden gates because quite often the bypass valves will blow when a strong gust of wind catches the gate leaf!! Rendering the motor buggered!! your only feasible option is to fit a magnetic lock coupled with a drop bolt, that would keep both leafs securely locked shut.

if you look underneath the ram you should see an information sticker showing model numbers. if you can get that info, and the control panel you have is the best you can get BFT wise, the Rigel 5 will do everything you want and more!!

Download the tech manual here:

http://www.gates.uk.com/products/install...panels.asp

Regards,

Carl
Many thanks for those links Carl - I'll chase them up shortly.

It's not both rams that have the problem, just the one, and it as done this since they were new (I was told) which was the reason I assumed there was simply a set-up issue.

Here's the label;

Attached Files Image(s)

- Raymond
Hi Buzby,

The Lux r2b does have locking in the closing and opening cycles,
i reckon the internal valve has failed or at some point something/someone has hit/forced the gate and damaged the seal.

The ram can be repaired with a replacement valve which would be far cheaper then purchasing a new ram, i am sure a valve will set you back nothing more then £20, you would require someone with a mechanical/gate automation background to carry out the repair though and test the motor.

Hope this helps,

Carl
Home IQ Wrote:The Lux r2b does have locking in the closing and opening cycles,
i reckon the internal valve has failed or at some point something/someone has hit/forced the gate and damaged the seal.

Thanks Carl, AS this isn;t a user-fix issue, I'll try to discover who is local and arrange a site visit. Ta for your assistance. Oh - IS there any way to make this installation operate as a single open (pedestrian) gate when required?
- Raymond
Hi buzby

You don't mention your location I may be able to help or recommend someone in your area that is an approved BFT installer such as ourselves.

As to you query with the pedestrian opening with one leaf.
This is entirely possible (nothing is impossible as my old dad keeps telling me)

You have two options

If you have the Mitto 2 remotes you can programme the second unused button to open the single leaf

or you can connect a push button to the control board(Rigel 5) to activate the pedestrian opening

Regard John Barker
Makers and installers of fine gates for over 60years
[Hi John,

I'm based in Glasgow. I did manage to track someone down in Fife, but they don't answer emails, so I'm back on the starting grid!

Smile
- Raymond
Please can any body help me please i have a problem with a set of gates the make is BFT the panel is a rigel 5 and one of the gates does not close properly it leaves a gap about 200mm but the other gate shuts ok i have the BFT manual but what program do i need to go in? i dont want to mess up all the system as i did not program this installation oh i forgot they are hydraulic openers thanks David..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bft gate problem djkokalis 1 914 14-02-2024, 12:39 PM
Last Post: JoeF
  BFT Sliding Gate randomly opening and closing AdrianMate 1 616 14-02-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Michael
  BFT Rigel 4 - single Gate Not Closing Tsnash 1 873 04-01-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: JoeF
  BFT sliding gate intermittent operation vozm100 5 1,820 02-10-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Michael
  Set remote to “only open” gate mark123499 4 3,515 30-05-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mark123499
  Parallel (or not) gate motors Ian Evans 1 2,406 16-05-2022, 11:44 AM
Last Post: SamA
  BFT Thalia GSM gate opener SunnyB1 1 2,963 07-03-2022, 10:58 AM
Last Post: JamieF
  BFT gate won't stop mid way redgraysie 0 3,070 10-12-2020, 12:56 PM