Thread Rating:
  • 96 Vote(s) - 2.91 Average
LM5580 - Door Opens Fully then Drops about 6 inches
(13-06-2018, 08:21 AM)Sav Wrote: Hi,

After reading through your issue, i would say it's to do with the curved arm. I'm quite suprised you managed to get it installed in the first place. If you could forward some images of the install and i may be able to point you in the right direction.

Can you confirm if the garage door is balanced? When disconnected from the motor, does the door stay in the halfway posistion?

Hi Sav,

Thank you very much for your reply, its much appreciated. I can imagine there are hundreds of chamberlain installs monthly (so you must be busy!) so thanks for checking this out.

Unfortunately, I'm now in Canada for a bit BUT the garage door is still in operation at my mother's house (and is balanced). That means sadly i can't get any new photos for the time being. I did a video of it opening a while back but it doesn't really show much of the mechanism though i got a few screen grabs (see below) which shows the chamberlain arm connected with the straight bar to the trackway.

The garage door was playing up a little before I left for Canada (was fully opening, hitting the ceiling, then dropping 6 inches) but that was after lubricating it. So i can only assume that took some of the 'strain' out of things, and made the opener think it was 'lighter' than it actually was. The up and down travel adjusters are super sensitive but i managed to find a 'sweet spot' and set it so the door doesn't open fully and leaves about 4 inches from the top of the garage door frame when open, meaning the door will never open fully and cause the problem I was facing.

In your opinion, is this an OK solution? And is using the straight bar (which you can barely see in the photos...apologies!) OK, or should i have persevered with the curved bar for this type of installation?

Lastly, with the changes in seasons, is the travel of the door likely to change and require more adjustment as the temperature changes?

Many thanks again!

Messages In This Thread
RE: LM5580 - Door Opens Fully then Drops about 6 inches - by rossd1983 - 10-11-2018, 08:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2 x LiftMaster 800 garage door openers Richard B 2 12,698 07-10-2021, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Richard B
  Roller Door Opener LM650 JMB 0 14,840 05-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Last Post: JMB
  Door with no springs 1 23,618 09-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Mark