Electric Gates, Garage Door, Access Control, Smart Home & Security Forums
Came Gates - power cut issues - Printable Version

+- Electric Gates, Garage Door, Access Control, Smart Home & Security Forums (https://www.gateguide.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Gate Automation and Installation Help (https://www.gateguide.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: CAME Automatic Gate Openers (https://www.gateguide.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Came Gates - power cut issues (/showthread.php?tid=6843)

Came Gates - power cut issues - Paddy_SP - 06-07-2021

I would be most grateful for any help in identifying the cause of my problems...

In essence, my ATI/ZL180 gates set up experiences problems every time there's a mains power outage. Each time we have a power cut, when commanded to open the gates do so fully, then they close again without warning. They do this twice every time it happens, but after that, they’re fine. Usually the bounce-back takes place immediately, but sometimes it can take several seconds to occur.

Does anyone know if this is this a known fault which can be remedied, or is the only solution to fit a UPS? Leaving the house isn’t so much of a problem, but as the bounce-back can take several seconds to show itself – and we never know if it’s going to happen or not unless we’ve spotted the power outage, sooner or later it will result in one of our cars being damaged. If it happens to my wife's car, there'll be hell to pay (mostly by me...). In the meantime, anyone waiting in the road behind us thinks we’re being incompetent while we try to determine whether it’s safe to drive forward or not!

RE: Came Gates - power cut issues - JamieF - 07-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 02:38 PM)Paddy_SP Wrote: I would be most grateful for any help in identifying the cause of my problems...

In essence, my ATI/ZL180 gates set up experiences problems every time there's a mains power outage. Each time we have a power cut, when commanded to open the gates do so fully, then they close again without warning. They do this twice every time it happens, but after that, they’re fine. Usually the bounce-back takes place immediately, but sometimes it can take several seconds to occur.

Does anyone know if this is this a known fault which can be remedied, or is the only solution to fit a UPS? Leaving the house isn’t so much of a problem, but as the bounce-back can take several seconds to show itself – and we never know if it’s going to happen or not unless we’ve spotted the power outage, sooner or later it will result in one of our cars being damaged. If it happens to my wife's car, there'll be hell to pay (mostly by me...). In the meantime, anyone waiting in the road behind us thinks we’re being incompetent while we try to determine whether it’s safe to drive forward or not!

Hi Paddy,

I hope you are well. This sounds like your gate system is going through an automatic learn stage, this procedure has to be undergone when first recognizing the travel distances of the gate leafs. I would say this is happening due to the power cut resetting the panel. If you have safety edges fit on your gate, this will protect your vehicles and any persons from damage/injury. 
However for the most part i would expect this to happen when a power cut has reset the system, as i say this procedure is simply re learning the travel distances.

You could always opt for a battery back up, which will make sure the panel remains energized - thus avoiding this problem.

Do you have safety edges and photocells installed on your gate system? If you would like to discuss gate safety and collision/injury prevention, feel free to email me directly on jamie@easygates.co.uk  - alternatively, you can call us on 01384569942.

I hope this has helped.
Kind regards
-Jamie

RE: Came Gates - power cut issues - Paddy_SP - 22-07-2021

(07-07-2021, 04:48 PM)JamieF Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 02:38 PM)Paddy_SP Wrote: I would be most grateful for any help in identifying the cause of my problems...

Hi Paddy,

I hope you are well. This sounds like your gate system is going through an automatic learn stage, this procedure has to be undergone when first recognizing the travel distances of the gate leafs. I would say this is happening due to the power cut resetting the panel. If you have safety edges fit on your gate, this will protect your vehicles and any persons from damage/injury. 
However for the most part i would expect this to happen when a power cut has reset the system, as i say this procedure is simply re learning the travel distances.

You could always opt for a battery back up, which will make sure the panel remains energized - thus avoiding this problem.

Do you have safety edges and photocells installed on your gate system? If you would like to discuss gate safety and collision/injury prevention, feel free to email me directly on jamie@easygates.co.uk  - alternatively, you can call us on 01384569942.

I hope this has helped.
Kind regards
-Jamie

Hi Jamie - many thanks for your helpful comments, and my apologies for not replying sooner - as no-one had commented, I didn't bother to check my thread for replies for a week or so. On thinking about it, I suspect that the first thing I should do is check whether there's an on-board back-up battery in the control panel, and if so, replace it.