Electric Gates, Garage Door, Access Control, Smart Home & Security Forums
Gate automation failure/ replacement - Printable Version

+- Electric Gates, Garage Door, Access Control, Smart Home & Security Forums (https://www.gateguide.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Gate Automation and Installation Help (https://www.gateguide.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Automatic Gates - Help and Support (https://www.gateguide.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Gate automation failure/ replacement (/showthread.php?tid=161)

Gate automation failure/ replacement - Guest - 11-04-2010

I've posted this in BFT as well but there is also a general question.

Hi, our BFT Sub has failed again, it did this a few weeks ago and an engineer we used said it had no oil in it and topped it up. Today looking through the access hole there appears to be a lot of oil over the pump/motor. Could this be a damaged seal and can the motors be repaired.

The Gates are on a develpoment of 40 properties and do fail on quite a regular basis,our previous gate "maintainence" firm just replaced the motors each time but this is getting prohibitivly expensive.

Should we condider a different type of gate system for reliability, would a sliding gate system be more reliable? the gates open scores of times a day ?

Thanks in advance

RE: Gate failure/ replacement - easygates - 13-04-2010

Hi,

First of all, we need to find out which BFT Sub you have, as there are about 5 different types. All of these do 500 operations per 24 hours average, so your question about usage should not really be a problem.

But however, it will depend on how big and heavy your gate is. as all the different types of SUB motor take different size gates.

BFT is a good Manufacturer of gate automation and when fitted correctly and serviced correctly will work for many years without problems.

Attached is a specification sheet of a sub motor, it will show you the different models and the size of gate that they will work with.

If the seals are breaking then you may need a higher specification sub motor which is non-locking to avoid the size of the gate breaking the hydraulic seals.

Please let me know if you need more information.

RE: Gate failure/ replacement - jgpp - 13-04-2010

Thanks for the reply, I've just removed the lid and the pump is marked Sub R. Now looking at the spec sheet for Subs it says these are suitable for up tp 1.50m, our gate leafs are 2.5, though I don't think they will weigh any where near 800kg. Is this critical ?

The pump that has failed has worked well for three years whilst the other side has been replaced a few times .
Could we just replace the failed one with the correct pump ER/EL.

Thanks once again

(13-04-2010, 02:35 PM)easygates Wrote: Hi,

First of all, we need to find out which BFT Sub you have, as there are about 5 different types. All of these do 500 operations per 24 hours average, so your question about usage should not really be a problem.

But however, it will depend on how big and heavy your gate is. as all the different types of SUB motor take different size gates.

BFT is a good Manufacturer of gate automation and when fitted correctly and serviced correctly will work for many years without problems.

Attached is a specification sheet of a sub motor, it will show you the different models and the size of gate that they will work with.

If the seals are breaking then you may need a higher specification sub motor which is non-locking to avoid the size of the gate breaking the hydraulic seals.

RE: Gate failure/ replacement - easygates - 15-04-2010

The legnth of the leaf is very important. For the size of each leaf being 2.5m you would require the SUB ER motors. The boxes you have already installed would be compatible. The SUB ER motors will be quite alot slower than the SUB R motors. They are also non-locking so security will be an issue as you can force the gates open.

With these non-locking motors, the seals will not break and should last a long time with regular service.

We can get these motors ordered in for you if you require them

If you need any more details please call us on 0845 054 50 70 and ask for Technical.

Thanks

(13-04-2010, 06:44 PM)jgpp Wrote: Thanks for the reply, I've just removed the lid and the pump is marked Sub R. Now looking at the spec sheet for Subs it says these are suitable for up tp 1.50m, our gate leafs are 2.5, though I don't think they will weigh any where near 800kg. Is this critical ?

The pump that has failed has worked well for three years whilst the other side has been replaced a few times .
Could we just replace the failed one with the correct pump ER/EL.

Thanks once again

(13-04-2010, 02:35 PM)easygates Wrote: Hi,